Mud Etiquette

Re: Mud Etiquette

Postby MorrisM » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:55 pm

dantheman wrote:Morris,that actually kinda makes sense. Will the puddle ever dry like that though? Or once it dried it would make a low spot maybe?

Dan, that puddle has a solid bottom. That's part of the reason it holds water. Riding straight through will help remove the water and it will dry faster. It's already a low spot.
“Challenge yourself.”
MorrisM

Postby mjb » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:27 pm

Or any goals :( What's life without goals?!
mjb

Postby Brad C » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:54 pm

MorrisM wrote:If you're leaving tracks and ruts all over the trail, it's to wet. Find a more durable surface to ride.

Keep in mind if the conditions are like Morris' example, those tracks in the mud become the discussion point that other trail users (hikers, runners, etc.) will use to convince land managers that mountain bikes are bad for their trails and should be banned. As the MTB community has learned from hard experience, that decision once made is very difficult to get turned around.
TBB / The Count

"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is Freedom, in water there is bacteria.”
― Benjamin Franklin
Brad C
Site Admin

Postby DGA » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:00 pm

Sounds like this is a discussion that needs to occur every winter. Glad I asked.

Dan
DGA

Postby andrea » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:23 pm

Memphis_Buckeye wrote:
Damian B wrote:The only long routes I see are Cordova to Somerville and Cordova to Moscow. Am I missing something?

I believe it's the "Rouge Roubaix Training Ride."

Andrea, just an FYI... For some reason the link doesn't want to show the route and redirects to your profile.

That's odd... when I click, it goes to the route. Well, if you see a list of routes I've mapped, it's the one called "A ride mapped on 01/04/2011." Maybe you have to be logged in?
andrea

Postby Memphis_Buckeye » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:48 pm

I did have to log in to eventually see the route. Don't think even then it went straight to it. Oh well, it's not hard to find.
"You can't believe everything you read on the internet." ~Abraham Lincoln

"Death before DNF!" ~Me
Memphis_Buckeye

Postby WxMan » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:16 pm

MorrisM wrote:By riding around the puddle you only make a wide place in the trail. I'm sure you've seen them, their not pretty. my two cents

Cosmic Ray calls it "widening the eye" and we don't want big eyes on our trails. :|
WxMan

Postby Chinn » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:05 pm

When its too wet during winter, I turn to the road, or I head out to gravel like Shakey and Andrea mentioned.

The Wolf River Conservancy trail in Collierville (entrance from Collierville Arlington Road) has no difficulty with wet traffic. Its really a wide gravel path down the riverside, but its better than the road when its really cold.

For my road bike, I actually install fenders. May look geeky, but my backside stays dry.
Chinn

Postby andrea » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:29 am

^I like that one. It's in the route I posted.
andrea

Postby Kermit » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:25 am

Winter is a good time to work on skills and balance. Urban riding on your mountain bike is a lot of fun, and a lot of times can be much more technical than riding the trails.
Go big or go home.
Kermit

Postby SteveK » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:43 pm

Kermit,
Do you mean like jumping from garage roofs into garbage dumpsters kind of urban riding? :shock:
"Stay Thirsty, my friends"
SteveK

Postby vic » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:06 pm

There were a lot of muddy areas on Stanky Creek yesterday that reminded me of this post. I got off and walked around them to prevent further damage but someone riding the yellow and red trails CCW didn't read this post and know what brake modulation is. He left skid marks 10ft before digging in every mud patch ahead.
EAT : SLEEP : RIDE
All Things Vic
Flickr Set
vic

Previous

Return to General Trail Information