Mud Etiquette

Mud Etiquette

Postby DGA » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:09 pm

The WRT trail report today got this newb thinking about something I hadn't considered. I show up a Herbs Sunday and the trail is a bit sloppy. What should I do? Turn around and go home? Go around the wet areas best I can? Walk the bike through? Do laps in the parking lot? Plow ahead and suffer the wrath of Kuhar as I rut up the trail? I elected to go around the best I could but was just wondering. Do those tracks bother folks?

Dan
DGA

Re: Mud Etiquette

Postby dantheman » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:26 pm

Yes they do. This is what happens:
Non mtbers that ride just once in a while ride not knowing any better. Then real mtbers go ride and think its ok cause they haven't rode in a while. Well if ten people end up doing that then you get some heavy traffic. Or like andrea says, ride the trails and just lie about it on here! Bottom line is people are gonna ride when the weathers not so good. Have I?......no comment. It's gonna happen but if you try not to then that's best.But yes,some people do get mad when it tears up the trail. I don't blame them either but I personally don't care to much as long as its tire tracks and not hoof tracks! Andrea would disagree with that statement too cause she's a ex horse racer! Welcome to the board though! :D
dantheman

Postby nickav21 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:28 pm

DGA wrote:Do those tracks bother folks?

Dig up some old threads from last winter when the trails were in a constant sloppy condition and you'll get your answer. If you don't feel like searching though, the answer is YES. Those ruts add up, causing erosion to the trail and permanent damage to the trail. That damage holds over and when it gets bad enough gracious people must go and spend back-breaking hours fixing said damage. Please, PLEASE do not ride through sloppy sections. If there's only a few on the trail go ahead and ride the trail but walk around the muddy sections. If the whole trail is like that please don't ride it. It really sucks having to cancel your ride, but you'll thank yourself when you get sweet singletrack that is fast, flowy, and undamaged the next time you go. Thank you for asking and doing your part to keep our trails awesome!
nickav21

Postby dantheman » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:33 pm

wonder where Mud Mike is? Bet he's in heaven!
dantheman

Postby andrea » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:42 pm

I just go to Syllamo... The traffic is so diluted there w/50 miles of singletrack & very few visitors that you can ride in any conditions you have the nerve for.

Riding on the road is another option. I can give you a ~100 mile route that involves most gravel "roads" in Shelby and west Fayette county.
andrea

Postby shakey » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:00 pm

andrea wrote:I just go to Syllamo... The traffic is so diluted there w/50 miles of singletrack & very few visitors that you can ride in any conditions you have the nerve for.

Riding on the road is another option. I can give you a ~100 mile route that involves most gravel "roads" in Shelby and west Fayette county.

Please share with us. I would be very interested in tackling something like that.
shakey

Postby KenG » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:05 pm

Oooooh! That could be the off-season Ironbutt... The "Gravelbutt"!

No? Just a thought...
KenG

Postby shakey » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:10 pm

kgraham11 wrote:Oooooh! That could be the off-season Ironbutt... The "Gravelbutt"!

No? Just a thought...

I like it.
shakey

Postby MorrisM » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:12 pm

If you're leaving tracks and ruts all over the trail, it's to wet. Find a more durable surface to ride.
When you come upon a puddle in the trail, ride straight through the middle. By riding around the puddle you only make a wide place in the trail. I'm sure you've seen them, their not pretty.
my two cents
“Challenge yourself.”
MorrisM

Postby dantheman » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:27 pm

Morris,that actually kinda makes sense. Will the puddle ever dry like that though? Or once it dried it would make a low spot maybe?
dantheman

Postby Memphis_Buckeye » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:33 pm

Ride at your own risk. Just remember, karma will have no mercy on you if you do. :mrgreen:
"You can't believe everything you read on the internet." ~Abraham Lincoln

"Death before DNF!" ~Me
Memphis_Buckeye

Postby andrea » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:50 am

Mapped out the 85 mile version- it's easy to add more road in around Oakland for closer to 100, but I figured you'd just want to hit the high points. I do this on my road bike.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/26609732
andrea

Postby Damian B » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:34 am

The only long routes I see are Cordova to Somerville and Cordova to Moscow. Am I missing something?
Damian B

Postby Memphis_Buckeye » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:53 pm

Damian B wrote:The only long routes I see are Cordova to Somerville and Cordova to Moscow. Am I missing something?

I believe it's the "Rouge Roubaix Training Ride."

Andrea, just an FYI... For some reason the link doesn't want to show the route and redirects to your profile.
"You can't believe everything you read on the internet." ~Abraham Lincoln

"Death before DNF!" ~Me
Memphis_Buckeye

Postby jswanson » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:10 pm

Memphis_Buckeye wrote:
Andrea, just an FYI... For some reason the link doesn't want to show the route and redirects to your profile.

Also, she doesn't have any friends or groups :cry:
jswanson

Next

Return to General Trail Information