Maintaining the Trails

Maintaining the Trails

Postby jswanson » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:16 pm

Okay,

I'm taking on the challenge of recruiting the runners for trail maintenance. I realized I cannot complain, unless I actually reach out to the running community myself. Also, because I haven't had the response I was hoping for from just posting on these boards.

So with that in mind, I posted this to the MRTC Facebook page:

Hello,

I'm posting on here to begin gathering a list of names of runners that would like to contribute to trail work in the Memphis area. I race with Stanky Creek Cycling and we can always use help from folks that want to give back to the trails they enjoy. The Legend of Stanky Creek XC race is June 23rd and 24th. In the weeks leading up to the race we will be out working on the trails. If you want to contribute to responsible trail maintenance, please send me a message with your e-mail address and your cell phone. I will compile a list and contact you when we set our trail days. We will also have trail days before the 12 Hours of Stank Mountain Bike race on October 6th.

Finally, if you really want to contribute to keeping our trails in good shape, please consider joining the Midsouth Trails Association (www.midsouthtrails.com)

Again, please message me your e-mail and phone number and I will put you on the SCC list.

Thanks,

Joe

The MRTC Facebook page has over 3,000 people that "Like" the page. My hope is to collect a list of those runners willing to help and to recruit them to Midsouthtrails so we don't have to tell them about trail days, they can find out themselves.
jswanson

Re: Maintaining the Trails

Postby MorrisM » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:44 pm

Like!!
“Challenge yourself.”
MorrisM

Postby Damian B » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:52 pm

This is a great idea. =D> =D> =D>
Damian B

Postby kevrider » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:29 pm

another option would be to simply post workdays on their fb page.
In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted
kevrider

Postby drrob » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:05 pm

Great idea =D> I remember when we tried to recruit the runners and horse riders to help at WRT and some showed up. I think John put that together. I think this will help recruit more people who enjoy the trails to participate in keeping them maintained. =D>
" ROCKIN "

" Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway "

Rob
drrob

Postby kevrider » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:27 pm

another thought... not sure whether or not there are running events at Stank, but if so, it might be more effective to schedule work days before/after one of those races. if i were a non-riding runner, i might not be overly excited about prepping the trail for a mtn bike race or cleaning up afterwards.
In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted
kevrider

Postby dantheman » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:38 pm

Hey Joe,
I should be able to help out at Stanky more this year. I'm focusing more on Stanky this year and not so much Wrt. I'm going to try and do more riding there,too. I think its a great idea to have a trail day after the runners race! We could even put some flyers up at the trailhead the day of their event. Stanky is surprisingly good right now. With a few spots that are still muddy but by Monday they should be good,too. Stanky could use some blowing,though,the gumballs are everywhere! Some spots are even a bit dusty! You guys post up the days when we figure them out and I will be there if I'm not working. :mrgreen:
dantheman

Postby jswanson » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:01 pm

kevrider wrote:another thought... not sure whether or not there are running events at Stank, but if so, it might be more effective to schedule work days before/after one of those races. if i were a non-riding runner, i might not be overly excited about prepping the trail for a mtn bike race or cleaning up afterwards.

Yeah, that's the problem. They host their races in the winter when you can't really work on the trails. So, they race in the mud, but aren't around to help fix the trails in the summer. That is why I posted now. I'm hoping they remember that they just raced out there and wouls like to contribute to the maintenance when it occurs (in the summer).

My thought on the best plan would be to have a sign-up table at their race. Take names and contact information and let them know when tuff is happening. My guess is that trail maintenance just isn't part of their culture yet.

Regarding your suggestion about posting on their FB page. Two issues 1) I have no idea how frequently their page is viewed. Based on my initial response, it isn't viewed as frequently as I would have thought, 2) posting trail days is a passive approach with no knowledge of whether people saw the post or not. However, if I contact them by e-mail or phone, I know they knew about the event.

We can't just sit around and complain about runners/horse people of helping. When I first started trail work at Shelby Farms, there were a number of horse people that worked on the trails. They had a culture of trail maintenance back then. I'm trying to help the runners create this culture. We'll see what happens.
jswanson

Postby Memphis_Buckeye » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:14 am

Joe,

Not sure how much it'll help, but if you want to recruit runners around a running race, the ultras will be run in September out there. You're talking a small segment of the running community - ultra-marathon trail running - but I'd bet that even though it's a smaller segment of the running community, it's likely to have a higher percentage of interested folks than any other segment.
"You can't believe everything you read on the internet." ~Abraham Lincoln

"Death before DNF!" ~Me
Memphis_Buckeye

Return to General Trail Information