Mid South Greenways newsletter highlights

Mid South Greenways newsletter highlights

Postby Brad C » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:04 am

I received the regional news for winter 2013. Some points of particular interest are below.
Link to complete newsletter>
http://www.midsouthgreenways.org/wp-con ... r-2013.pdf

Link to Mid South Greenways web site>
http://www.midsouthgreenways.org/

• City of Germantown
After an unfortunate accident on the Greenway, the Germantown Safety Cabinet has been working with the Mid
South Greenways Safety Idea Nest to develop a 911 Location regional signage system. Germantown will serve as the pilot for this new sign system that will eventually be added to all Mid South trails.

(My comments. This was discussed at the Shelby Farms user group meeting on Feb. 28. With steadily increasing trail use there are more accidents that require emergency response. The current 911 system has no way to identify trail access points or accident locations. More on this as the program moves forward.)

• City of West Memphis
Plans for a trail system on the floodplain between the Harahan Bridge and I-40 are moving forward. The City has received assistance from the US Parks Service and held a well-attended stakeholders meeting in February. The trail will most likely be primitive and provide another adventure for users exiting the Harahan Bridge.

• Overton Park Conservancy
A local sculptor has begun construction of the Overton Broad Connector Gateway arch, to be made completely from recycle bicycle parts. The Gateway will welcome visitors to the park and connect between internal Park trails and the Overton-Broad connector cycle track

• Shelby Farms Park Conservancy
Design team has reached a breakthrough in their planning for the Germantown Parkway crossing of the Cordova Greenline extension. Plans should be released soon.

(My comments. This was also discussed at the Feb. 28 user group meeting. The plan is to make the Greenline go straight across Germantown Pkwy. instead of the angle it is at now. A full fledged traffic signal will be installed to allow Greenline users to cross the street safely. There will also be a safety island installed where the turn lane crosses the Greenline. The current expectation is for the extension to be completed in 2014.)
TBB / The Count

"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is Freedom, in water there is bacteria.”
― Benjamin Franklin
Brad C
Site Admin

Re: Mid South Greenways newsletter highlights

Postby Damian B » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:14 am

That is awesome news about the Cordova Greenline. Maybe I can get my wife to ride a little more often now. Thanks for letting us know!
Damian B

Postby SteveK » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:21 am

This is just my opinion but cars being delayed by Greenline users will create more hate and discontent with already irritated/annoyed/fuming/livid/enraged Germantown Parkway drivers.

I will not being that crossing during rush hours! :shock:
"Stay Thirsty, my friends"
SteveK

Postby herlsy » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:36 pm

I'm really hoping that they decide to build a pedestrian bridge over Germantown Pkwy, theres no way they should do a level crossing.
herlsy

Postby Brad C » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:12 pm

herlsy wrote:I'm really hoping that they decide to build a pedestrian bridge over Germantown Pkwy, there's no way they should do a level crossing.

A bridge would be the best option. However, it is also the most expensive option which would scuttle the expansion past GTN Pkw. We need that connection to Old Cordova to spur future expansion of the Greenline.

Fayette County has a plan to start their own Greenline on that RR right of way from Oakland to the Fayette/Shelby County line. That is about 3/4 mile from Eads. Getting the existing Greenline past GTN Pkw makes it a lot easier to lobby to complete the connection to the Fayette Greenline.

There is a future plan to widen GTN Pkw to 10 lanes. I have suggested that because the road meets the old tracks at a high point that project should include depressing the road there and include a Greenline bridge. There is a similar design in the Shelby Farms Parkway plan at Whitten Rd.
TBB / The Count

"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is Freedom, in water there is bacteria.”
― Benjamin Franklin
Brad C
Site Admin

Postby muddymatt » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:22 pm

i say go for a tunnel
I ride, therefore I crash!
muddymatt

Postby herlsy » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:17 pm

Tunnel would be sweet for sure.

They should make use of the existing railroad barriers and close them when people cross.
herlsy

Postby Brad C » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:50 pm

herlsy wrote:They should make use of the existing railroad barriers and close them when people cross.

Sorry, but the RR crossing gates were already removed in this 2008 picture.

People have an aversion to tunnels for some reason. The design of the tunnels inside Shelby Farms on the road project were discussed a lot before everyone decided it was the only logical way to keep the park connected.

TBB / The Count

― Benjamin Franklin
Brad C
Site Admin

Postby herlsy » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:25 pm

I guess i haven't paid attention for a while, i thought the trusses were still there...doh. I'm not trying to be anti-greenline, but there just doesn't seem to be a safe way to have a crossing there. Germantown Pkwy is the king of red light runners

We'll find out once it's in place.

Also if you look at google maps it is labelled as 'Shelby Farms Greenline (planned)' almost all the way to Houston Levee.
herlsy

Postby Brad C » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:30 pm

herlsy wrote:Also if you look at google maps it is labelled as 'Shelby Farms Greenline (planned)' almost all the way to Houston Levee.

Google maps is great, but don't bet your life on it. Today (3-7-13) it only shows the dog park in green which is the color they use for park land. The rest of Shelby Farms Park is in standard background color which is not recognized as parkland.

This quote is from the Daily News commercial paper Wednesday, August 15, 2012.
"An extension of the Shelby Farms Greenline from Farm Road east across Germantown Parkway to the old Cordova train depot along the old CSX rail corridor is on track."

If CSX were not so greedy it could go farther. This extension costs $4.4 million and most of that goes to CSX.

TBB / The Count

― Benjamin Franklin
Brad C
Site Admin

Postby Memphis_Buckeye » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:47 pm

SteveK wrote:This is just my opinion but cars being delayed by Greenline users will create more hate and discontent with already irritated/annoyed/fuming/livid/enraged Germantown Parkway drivers.

I will not being that crossing during rush hours! :shock:

I'm with you Steve.

I use the green line as much as, if not more, than the next guy, but I am also one of those "already irritated/annoyed/fuming/livid/enraged Germantown Parkway drivers" and I am already irritated/annoyed/fuming/livid/enraged about this. I want the green line to be successful and plan to use it out that way when it exists, but if I had to choose to not build it past Germantown Parkway in lieu of a level crossing, I would.

I drive this road daily. It is already backed up beyond belief. I would be livid if my commute home got worse. I can get to work on an average day, in morning rush hour traffic, on Germantown Parkway in 20-25 mins. In evening rush hour - taking the same route - it takes me 45-50 mins to get home. It's just under a 10-mile trek. That is ridiculous already.

A level crossing at this location, just because it is cheaper and can help fund further expansion, is asinine. Do it right (i.e. unobtrusive to road traffic and safe for all), or don't do it at all I say. Just my opinion, from someone on both sides of the issue.
"You can't believe everything you read on the internet." ~Abraham Lincoln

"Death before DNF!" ~Me
Memphis_Buckeye

Postby Memphis_Buckeye » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:50 pm

herlsy wrote:Also if you look at google maps it is labelled as 'Shelby Farms Greenline (planned)' almost all the way to Houston Levee.

I believe that stuff is user-added and not anything "official." Just like the WRT yellow trail that is also shown on Google Maps.
"You can't believe everything you read on the internet." ~Abraham Lincoln

"Death before DNF!" ~Me
Memphis_Buckeye

Return to General Trail Information