Interesting info from Desoto County........

Interesting info from Desoto County........

Postby Jrkimbrough » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:47 pm

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/20 ... n-2013-14/

During the commission's Tuesday meeting, system director Larry Jarrett reported that over $300,000 would be available this fall in federal funding through the Memphis Metropolitan Planning Organization
Jrkimbrough

Re: Interesting info from Desoto County........

Postby Brad C » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:28 pm

Here are some more details. The map below shows the section of Desoto County that gets the $346,000 in funds. The area inside the MPO boundary qualifies as one of the largest population centers in the state so it gets an automatic share of the Transportation Alternatives Program (TAP) money. The remainder of the county can propose projects to be funded by TAP in the share that MS can distribute to the rest of the state.

TBB / The Count

"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is Freedom, in water there is bacteria.”
― Benjamin Franklin
Brad C
Site Admin

Postby rich_k » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:23 pm

Brad,

How can MSTA help Evan tap into these funds to improve the trails that he has developed? $10k-20k would go a long way for building new trails, bridges, etc. Is this a possibility?

Just a suggestion.
rich_k

Postby Brad C » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:17 am

Probably not. The word "transportation" is the key. In the meetings I've been to the sample projects mentioned are sidewalk additions, bike lanes, shared use paths, etc. TAP funds can only be applied for by a government entity; town, city, county, state. I doubt USACE qualifies as one of those. 501(c)3 organizations cannot apply for TAP funds either. There is also a minimum 20% match required.

MTB trails are more often funded by RTP grants or other similar programs. These are less involved in transportation as a direct requirement. Again, these mostly are 80/20 programs requiring matching funds. Like the TAP program, RTP is a federal program administered by the states.
TBB / The Count

"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is Freedom, in water there is bacteria.”
― Benjamin Franklin
Brad C
Site Admin

Postby j d » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:56 am

I'm not familiar with those trails, but perhaps some of the money could go toward trail access projects - shared use paths to the trails, parking area improvements, etc.

I assume that the county/state/municipality provides the 20% match? Or are these trails on private land? If so, then I guess there's little chance of any money going that way. If the land is private, and were to be donated, then it looks like under the TAP rules the value of the land can be used as the 20% - not that I'm suggesting that be done.

Edit: actually, looking at the TAP guidelines, it does allow funding of recreational trails.
Bikes With Wolves
j d

Return to General Trail Information