Meeman-Shelby Forest State Park May 16, 11:30 AM

Meeman-Shelby Forest State Park May 16, 11:30 AM

Postby Brad C » Wed May 07, 2014 4:33 pm

The MTB community has a new opportunity for trails at Shelby Forest. The old manager who would not even talk to us is no longer there.

On May 16, there is a ceremony to officially introduce Ranger James Wilkinson as the new park manager. James is open to considering adding mountain biking to Shelby Forest State Park. I had a phone conversation with James some time ago. He was invited to and attended the IMBA meeting in April. At that time I gave James an information package about MSTA.

On May 16, at 11:30 there is a ceremony to install James as the new park manager. There will be barbeque and deputy commissioner of parks, Brock Hill will be coming from Nashville. Anyone who can attend should be there.

MSTA will continue to meet with new Park Manager James Wilkinson on establishing MTB use in Shelby Forest State Park.
TBB / The Count

"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is Freedom, in water there is bacteria.”
― Benjamin Franklin
Brad C
Site Admin

Re: Meeman-Shelby Forest State Park May 16, 11:30 AM

Postby MorrisM » Thu May 08, 2014 1:45 pm

This ceremony will be somewhere in the park?
“Challenge yourself.”
MorrisM

Postby Brad C » Thu May 08, 2014 2:49 pm

Oops!
Guess I messed up on that. The ceremony will be at the Meeman-Shelby Park visitor's center

TBB / The Count

"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is Freedom, in water there is bacteria.”
― Benjamin Franklin
Brad C
Site Admin

Postby Superfly13 » Thu May 08, 2014 4:55 pm

who was the ranger who would not talk to us?
Superfly13

Postby Brad C » Thu May 08, 2014 5:48 pm

I don't remember his name. Maybe someone else does. He was park manager for quite a few years. He was approached several times by various people in the MTB community and the response was always negative. After a while Meeman-Shelby was sort of written off as a lost cause.

Now we have a new beginning. Much like the new beginning we had when the Shelby Farms Park Conservancy started managing Shelby Farms. However, this will probably not be quick. The state park system has a protocol they use and we will have to work through that.
TBB / The Count

― Benjamin Franklin
Brad C
Site Admin

Return to General Trail Information