North Trail Bypasses

North Trail Bypasses

Postby andrea » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:36 pm

The attached photo is where the yellow trail goes up a steep hill just north of the powerline field on the North Trail. On Facebook, I posted this photo of a new bypass build in progress and within a few minutes, someone had messaged me saying he's nearly 100% sure that the builder of this bypass trail is someone who goes by the name "Speedgoat" on this forum.

I want to let you know, whoever built it, that you built a shit trail. This (along with the other bypass you've marked/partially cleared just north of the 3-plank bridge) is built straight up the hill, nearly parallel to the eroded trail you're attempting to bypass. When you build a trail straight up a hill, it becomes the new route for water. YOU ARE BUILDING ANOTHER TRAIL THAT'S GOING TO FAIL AS BADLY AS THE ONE YOU DON'T LIKE NOW.

Let me repeat: Not only are you building illegal trails, but you are also building illegal trails that suck terribly by all sustainable trailbuilding standards and practices.

Until you learn how to avoid building a trail that's going to turn to shit within a year, stop building this crap. IMBA has a book you can read (https://www.imba.com/resources/trail-building), I can get the IMBA trailbuilding class powerpoint notes for you, or you can start doing work on legitimate trail work days so that someone can show you the correct way to plan singletrack so that you aren't contributing more to the problems we already have.

Go cut privet off the corridor if you're bored, because what you are "building" now is nothing but wrong.
Attachments
bypass.jpg
bypass.jpg (219.12 KiB) Viewed 1504 times
andrea

Re: North Trail Bypasses

Postby herlsy » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:28 am

Last time i saw that bypass tape, i was working at the Fedex hub.

Is the picture looking towards the powerline field?
herlsy

Postby andrea » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:45 am

Yes- standing at the top of the hill looking back towards the field.
andrea

Postby The Dude » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:40 pm

Andrea , stop beatin around the bush. Tell us you really feel. :?
The Dude

Postby Brad C » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:59 pm

Bikes were banned in the Lucius Burch Natural Area in 1996. For the past 18 years the MTB community has fought that ban. In 2013 TDEC revised the natural area rules in a way that gives Shelby Farms the opportunity to legally allow bicycles in the natural area.

The next step is for Shelby Farms Park to apply for that exemption. The park will expect the MTB community to be an honest above board operating partner in maintaining the trails. Working in the shadows secretly doing unauthorized trail work will not instill confidence in the park that the MTB community is an honest partner. Unauthorized work such as this could result in 18 years of work by many people to be flushed down the toilet.
TBB / The Count

"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is Freedom, in water there is bacteria.”
― Benjamin Franklin
Brad C
Site Admin

Postby rich_k » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:45 pm

With all due respect to all y'all, this is much ado about nothing.

The "trail" in question is about 75 feet long and simply runs down the same hill as the rutted main trail to the powerline field. No work was done to cut-in the trail other than removing sticks and other debris, and marking the entrance at the top. Sure, the trail runs downhill and may carry water once broken in, but it's actually more curvy that the main trail and maybe some will flow off rather than down.

So, what's the big deal. The old trail can now be abandoned and naturally recover.
rich_k

Postby andrea » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:56 pm

Rich, if you come to the IMBA trailbuilding presentation, then you'll actually learn that A)There's ways to measure the slope of a trail and cut it so that it doesn't channel water (as opposed to "curve it more and rely on hopes and dreams") and B)the old trail is too compacted to just be "reclaimed" on its own, and will need to be tilled in order for new growth to occur where it is now.

Also... what Brad said.
andrea

Return to Shelby Farms Area TDW, WRT, Greenline & W/R Greenway