Womble Trail

Womble Trail

Postby kevrider » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:17 am

has anyone ridden this trail end-to-end? i'm thinking about trying to ride it, maybe this fall, and was just wondering whether it's a hardtail or a full suspension kind of ride. the distance alone makes me think FS, but which bike would you prefer?

http://www.imba.com/epics/womble

also, would you ride east- or westbound? any other info you can share about this ride is appreciated. tia.
In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted
kevrider

Re: Womble Trail

Postby andrea » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:03 pm

Rigid singlespeed.
andrea

Postby kevrider » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:21 pm

lol! :mrgreen: buff, you say?
In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted
kevrider

Postby joeycmsu » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:17 pm

Isn't the description for the Womble like 6 hours, 6000' of elevation?
Last edited by joeycmsu on Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joeycmsu

Postby andrea » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:09 am

I'm being slightly serious... the Womble is less rocky than the nearby Ouachita trail. A lot of the locals go rigid. 29er hardtail is probably the most common, though.
andrea

Postby Memphis_Buckeye » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:27 am

andrea wrote:Rigid singlespeed.

=D>
"You can't believe everything you read on the internet." ~Abraham Lincoln

"Death before DNF!" ~Me
Memphis_Buckeye

Postby WxMan » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:05 am

Singlespeed is good.

Think about camping at Rock Creek and riding out/back east one day and west the other. Rock Creek campground is at about 1/2 way point of Womble Trail. Rock Creek is primitive camping.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/ouachita/recreation/wateractivities/recarea/?recid=13386&actid=31
WxMan

Postby the kid » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:25 pm

i have riden my ss there in the past and it is a great trail no need for full s!
the kid

Postby Kermit » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:09 pm

I had a chance to ride the Womble with some friends this past weekend and dug up this thread for info and laughed at the recommendations of SS. I personally wouldn't recommend a Rigid SS to anyone wanting to actually ride the whole trail. A hardtail would be a good suggestion so you can climb everything but a good full suspension ( preferably one that locks out) and gears makes it a lot more fun and still allows you to ride everything.

There are a lot of screaming descents and some have fist sized rocks that are easier to handle on a bike with suspension.

Just my opinion, but I figured I would add it in case anyone is searching for info on the Womble in the future.

We were able to do the entire length of the trail in just under 5 hours of ride time but expect to stop for the views.
Go big or go home.
Kermit

Postby Special Ed » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:00 pm

Funny thing about hills. riding them in one direction gives you plenty of downhills, but then the next hill goes up. Going the other way, the downhills become uphills and vice versa. (see, this is why they call me Special Ed)

Actually, I love the Womble going both directions because of the various fast downhills and some challenging short/steep uphills. I have ridden it SS, hardtail, and FS -- my preference - 29 SS.

Another camping option along the trail is to camp at Two Spirits Campground. You can find them on the web, and their phone number is 8008413632. They have very nice small A frame sleeping structures on concrete pads with heat and air. the owner - Frank Klein, will also cook a great breakfast and dinner for you if you plan that ahead with him when you reserve your place.
Work to eat, eat to live, live to bike
Special Ed

Postby Kermit » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:50 pm

Special Ed wrote:Funny thing about hills. riding them in one direction gives you plenty of downhills, but then the next hill goes up. Going the other way, the downhills become uphills and vice versa. (see, this is why they call me Special Ed)

The faster you go downhill the more momentum you can carry up the next hill so you don't have to pedal up hill as much. My recommendation was for folks like me that are lazy and out of shape, not for guys with tree trunks for legs that love pain :lol:
Go big or go home.
Kermit

Return to Syllamo and Other Arkansas Trails